Monday, March 18, 2013

Whole Wheat Bread

This is our new go-to bread. My sister-in-law, Mollee, shared it with me several years back when she was eating a whole foods diet. It's super basic and it turns out well each time, despite my forgetfulness when baking it! It's 100% whole wheat and my kids gobble it up.  I make a slight change to the original recipe, but I added that last. I hope you enjoy!
 
2 1/2 c warm water
1 1/2 T yeast
1/2 c sugar or honey
2 T oil
1/4 c gluten (if you knead it a bit longer, the gluten is not needed)
1 T salt
6-8 c flour
(I add 1/2 cup ground flax seed or 1/2 cup mixed grain cereal and emit 1/2 cup of flour.)
Combine water, yeast sugar, oil, gluten, and salt and let sit for 5 min. Gradually add flour while kneading. (If using a Kitchen-Aide, mix in half the flour and knead for 10 min then add flour 1 cup at a time until dough is barely sticking to the sides.) Turn off the mixer, grease bowl, cover, and let rise until double.
Punch down and shape into 2 greased loaf pans, cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise until double. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment